Sunday, March 11, 2012

SPRING!!

The snowdrops are finished, the daffies are almost out and the new Farmer's Market season is just around the corner. We are excited for the new season. New markets, new flavours, new friends. I guess I am as programmed as the rest of us to start looking toward lighter, brighter food. I made a new soup today that features ham and navy beans, spinach, asparagus and finished with KICS to bring it all together. I am rather impressed if I do say so myself!

SPRING HAM SOUP

1 ham hock
10 cups cold water
1 quartered onion
2 cloves garlic
Put this in a big pot, bring to a boil reduce heat and simmer 4 hours. Strain off the liquid, saving the liquid and the ham bone. Pick all the meat off the bone and return it to the liquid. Discard the onion and garlic.

To the pot add the following:
1 finely chopped onion,
2 cloves minced garlic
1 x 19oz navy beans (drained and rinsed)
1 cup finely chopped spinach
1 cup finely chopped asparagus
1/2 cup finely chopped celery
1/2 cup small pasta ( I used acini di pepe)
1 tsp fleur de sel with herbs d'provence (this is a salt mix by Cote d'Azur that I buy at Cooks and Corks)
freshly ground peppper to taste
Simmer 30 mins or so
Add  1/3 cup KICS Lemonade syrup and adjust seasoning if necessary


My girls and  I love to go to Bosa Foods just of Boundary and First in Vancouver. They have an astonishing selection of pastas. We pick out 2 or 3 each to take home and play with. Acini de pepe is my new favourite for soups. It is a tiny ball, and when it is cooked it keeps its shape and doesn't go all mushy.

The Fleur de sel with Herbs d'provence is another favourite spring ingredient. It finishes new spring greens beautifully. Thanks to my friend Diana in Kamloops for introducing me to this.

No comments:

Post a Comment